Good idea...this rings a bell now...good numbers for high angler catch rates. You're right mortality of HSB can be high esp with younger anglers and light tackle or caught during high temp season. Even I lost a few through the years, thus NO FISHING July-August. How are the HBG treating you? Should be frequent and aggressive and fun for kids and growing fast.

PS: YP are easy to sample in baited minnow traps...this June/July you should be able to get a good idea on YP recruitment and add more this Fall if necessary. If you cage and grow them out to 6-8"+ you'll have lower predation rates unless you can buy them that size. I suspect your HBG hammer YOY YP, then your SMB and HSB take a toll on those that manage to make it to age 1. You may need to employ supplemental YP stocking in the future...or, collect egg strands and raise them yourself and cut the hatchery off at the knees. Cody can direct your efforts.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]