Your manure lagoon is slightly larger than an acre, 1.1ac. After reading the informative link provided by RAH, I think you bought a liability. The previous owner should have and maybe by law should have properly dealt with renovating or closing the abandoned lagoon before selling the property. There was probably a permit involved for installing the lagoon and the permit may have dealt with or specified proper guidelines for closing the lagoon when it was no longer actively used for manure storage. Or at a minimum, you should have received a significant discount on the property because the abandoned lagoon is a liability not an asset. It will cost quite a bit of money to 'clean-it-up'.

I have some experience observing and dealing with a few abandoned manure lagoons. Without a clean-up they are a nutrient super over enriched containment basin. The thing was a manure pit - and animal sewage lagoon. As abandoned basins the apparent water quality is usually, often always very green and dissolved oxygen shortages and fish kills are common depending on location and weather. Toxin producing algae blooms commonly occur. Nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations are at extreme levels. The critters that are currently living in the lagoon are those types /species that are tolerant of oxygen shortages. As it is, it will never be a "decent" pond with out good clean out. If it were mine I would have it drained, the sludge removed, and the basin deepened and then well compacted with proper soil compaction equipment. Do not use a bulldozer as the sole soil compactor.

Below are some quotes as good information of how to properly rejuvenate the lagoon from the link RAH provided. If the lagoon is not rebuilt expect it to be a ' very difficult problem child' as long as you own it.
From the Link: "Dewater most of the liquid waste in the earthen structure by irrigating it onto nearby cropland or forage land. Then agitate the remaining liquid with the sludge and pump it into a sludge slurry applicator. The sludge can then be spread onto cropland or forage land or incorporated into the soil. After removing the liquid and most of the sludge, depending on the condition of the liner, you may need to remove any remaining solids and if needed some of the nutrient –enriched soil with a small track-type dozer or farm tractor with a bucket.
Rinse the structure with water. Rinsate can be used to irrigate crop or pasture land. Fill the lagoon with water and allow it to sit for several months.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/16/18 03:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management