Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
From the picture it is lucky if the pond is 7ft deep. I doubt trout will survive in those water conditions. It likely has to much muck and dead organics (leaves) which results in periods of very low dissolved oxygen (DO). The water may have some native minnows try to get a wire minnow trap (Gee brand is the best). Bait the trap with old bread and let trap fish for 6-36 hrs. If small fish are present you should catch some. Use your trap to find some beaver pond minnows and stock them into your pond. Allow them to breed so you can catch lots of them in your traps. Then you are ready to stock sportfish. With low DO your best fish will be yellow perch YP and pike; both tolerate low DO well. Allow the YP to spawn then add a few pike. Eat the perch and use pike to control numbers of YP. You can try trout but I doubt they will survive the conditions of your organics enriched water body and likely periodic low DO. Trout need not only cool water but also high DO 24/7. It is doubtful SMB will survive in your pond due to low DO, but if it were mine I would 1st try stocking them instead of pike. SMB might survive.

If water runs over the dam 24/7 you likely will get fish to live in there year round. The incoming stream may provide enough DO.

Fair enough, If its only 7 feet there is a good chance it could fully freeze during the winter.

I'm not so concerned about getting in fish right away. I want to work on getting the pond into better shape. Reason I figured aeration would start and help atleast get rid of some of the muck. Other than aeration is there a way to help open up this area without heavy equipment? Can't really afford that right now but as I mentioned I hope to be getting a 40-60hp tractor with a loader in the next couple years to help out.

I have no problem with stocking pike, figured bass/trout would be better tasting. Never caught one but I heard they were better.

The whole area is technically 1 pond. but I'm not sure if its just high muck levels where willows and other plants are growing or if it was existing dirt. The water does stretch much further to the left side of the map but its mostly bogish.