We have an old pond on our farm that was created around 50+ years ago when a new road was built between sections of the property. I imagine it is now full of muck/silt and whatever else but at one time it was 12 feet deep in places or so im told.

The damn is more like a siv near the top its pure stone/rock and water overflows it. The pond is fed by atleast 1 underground stream from what I'm told and all the land around the pond is higher except for where the damn is. The water that goes over the damn heads into a stream at the north end of the property.

I'm pretty new at this and looking for some help on how to get started.

Red is the dam

This is a picture of the site. It has been overgrown with willows and most sides have trees near or overhanging the water. There is also a beaver or two hanging out in the water.

We experience temperature swings from -45f to 95f. usually average around -4f in the winter and 77f in the summer.

I have never been a huge fisher other then pike so I'm unfamiliar with what a good fish tastes like. Although I like the fight pike give, I'm thinking more of a trout/bass situation if possible. I figure I wouldn't be able to get much pike in such a small area, as well pike are a pain to clean so something easier would be nicer.

I know I will need to get aeration going to help clean up the muck problem. That is my step 1. I don't know yet what my step 2 or 3 should be.

I can't afford big equipment right now but hope to have an acreage tractor in the near future if things work out.

Also have been told birds of prey are an issue in the area and enjoy picking off fish.

Last edited by hoocli; 01/08/18 08:26 PM.