Originally Posted By: Daniel Powell
Hey Scott,
Because the red dots don't have any magnification the range really depends on your eyesight and the dot size. If you are looking to shoot 50+ yards I would suggest getting a sight with a 2moa dot. The downside with the smaller dot is that it is not a easy to see for close range/quick acquisition work.

Quick tip: the MOA size tells you how big the dot will appear at 100 yards. A 2moa dot will cover a 2" circle on the target at 100 yards. A 6moa will cover a 6" circle. It's technically a little over an inch but its close enough.

I have a Sightmark SureShot and Sightmark Ultra Shot and both have held up well on low recoil calibers - .22lr and 9mm. And they won't break the bank! Not the smallest sized sights for a 45º mount but work great for a main sight.

I have the Sure Shot on my S&W 15-22 and I've made shoulder/head shots on running squirrels at 40 yards.

One other note is most red dots have a 1moa adjustment - one click moves dot 1" @ 100 yards.

that is good info. i think mine is a holographic sight instead. it appears that the sight is further in front of you. i can change it from green to red and also change the reticle shape. dot, crosshair, crosshair with dot, etc.. i am a gun collector, but optics is my weak point. i am more of an antique 22 kinda guy.

Scott Hanners