I am under construction to fix a leak in the core. The entire old dam is being pushed back into my ravine and a new dam being built in front of it. MY contractor has been dragging his feet since August to get on this project. He has started by cutting a strip about 6 ft deep, 15ft wide to drive a dump truck through. He is planning on digging and moving earth with that. He has moved quite a bit of earth already but stopped to get another piece of equipment in there. My question is with the bitter cold that's now in KY.....(4 degrees last night)is there ever a bad time to dig? My thoughts go to ground being frozen and not being able to get good compaction on the new dam. He says that the ground under the top soil is fine and not frozen. He is going to collect enough clay around the exposed bank line to build another dam. He will scrape off the top soil, collect clay, and dump and compact. I have spent money on repairs for this pond once before, only to have half fixed my problem. I want this thing fixed once and for all! Any help or opinions on his theory for experience doing this during winter and having success with compaction?

God has blessed us with this day, what we do with it is up to us.