Dear PB friends,

My situation is that I built a new pond this year for SMB, WE, YP, RBT, HBG, BG, RES. I have 1.3 ac linered pond "C" shaped with avg 16' deep w/steep sides. I made it this deep for the RBT and since linered it will be difficult to remove sediment in years to come. I have 4 diffusors in this pond and 2 in my .4 acre 6' deep LMB pond. I've read Bill Cody's ideas about 24/7 air. What confuses me is there are also warm water fish in there too i.e., WE, RES, BG, SMB, YP, FHM & CC. The trout are still feeding furiously in the cold. Currently I'm running air pumps full at depths with 50' holes in the otherwise iced up surfaces. Both ponds stocked with 50 pounds very pregnant NCF (northern crayfish) each plus 10K FHM split between them to help them all settle in for the winter/spring of the year.

My FIRST question is, do I cut back air to a few hours or cut the pressure back some to mitigate stress on the warmer water fish or just let it ride on 24/7? I want to keep open water to keep feeder going to attempt to keep some trout through the summer. I'm in the cooler northeastern Ohio area about 30 minutes from the great lakes where it doesn't get extremely hot but kicks your hiney in the winter. We get a lot of Canadian weather influence here.

SECOND question for second shallow pond is same for aeration. I gathered from reading utilizing periodic air - perhaps 4 hours/day would be advisable. Could I get some input here?

New pond is just south of crystal clear, the trout are loving that. The smaller pond is slightly turbid due to its proximity to some new construction within a few feet of it. Generally it runs clear at 16". Also, with the ground temp at the deeper depth of the pond (16' - mine is 14' to 18.5') being approx 62 degrees I'm wondering if the thermodynamics will play into "heating" the full body offsetting the open ice holes or would periodic air allowing closing of the holes help with heat retention at depths?

I feel I made a blunder buy combining warm and cool species but it was worth trying. I couldn't find where anyone tried this combo but with this group I find that quite unlikely. Thanks in advance for any input anyone can offer.

The question is about Ohio RBT and warmer fish like WE & SMB and how to WINTER them over together if it could be possible.

Merry Christmas!

Mr. Don

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/18/17 02:22 PM. Reason: added northern crayfish

NE Ohio, 2 ponds @ 1.3 @ 16' & .5 ac.@ 6'. Aeration x 6 bottom diffusors, 2 HVLP fountains, Honey Hole habitat x 35 pcs, FHM, SMB, WE, RBT, YP, BG, HBG, CC (in newer WE/SMB pond only) 2nd 1/2 ac pond LMB, CC, RSF, SMB, BCP, CBG, HBG, FHM.