A few thoughts for our neck of the woods.

I just picked up my place in Livingston after a long search. Try to get a good realtor who knows land. I have one up here if you need one. Most realtors are clueless about land.

Look in places other than the MLS, up here timber companies sell through weird channels. (My prop was purchased from a timber company.) They also have long custom contracts and take many months to close.

Always check for flood plains. OK on the edge of a place, but not for the pond.

Check for pipelines. They are everywhere here, again, OK on the edge of a big place.

Forget mineral rights, they won't be available, but check surface and subsurface water rights. I have both for potable water, but not brine.

Stay as far away from Harris County or adjacent counties as possible. They will regulate you to death. As you get more rural folks get easy to deal with. Polk Co is a breeze to get building and septic permits for example.

Texas has great taxes for ag, timber, or wildlife property. Typical is $5 per acre.

I am the only on PB with this opinion, but NRCS around here are human ticks. They have no useful knowledge, and lots of wrong info. They use the surface soil maps only.

Land clearing and pond building etc are expensive, as Dave says.

As you get into Polk Co there are hills (little ones) and valleys that can be dammed. Gets even better as you head NE, but it is very rural. Not much of that as you approach the coast. Plus few flood plains up here. Also lots of beautiful forest. (See land clearing $ above.)

This will be a fun project.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18