wbuffetjr, I'd love to try to establish scuds in my MI pond. I found a few places online but they are pretty close lipped about how they harvest through ice and only sell certain months for a pretty steep price.

Since you are familiar with CO, this outfit in Fort Collins sells scuds but they don't post their price. They also say they specialize in solar aeration outfits, but by now you could probably give lessons to them...

http://www.cfiglobal.com/AboutUs.htm

This guy, used to be on forum as 'LandDr' but his name is Kyle sells them. He worked with Bill Cody on an order and has sold to others but the feedback has been that people put the scuds in and often they never see a one again. They do need habitat to hide in in the presence of fish but not sure if there are other requirements to maintain them (pH, clarity for adequate sun, DO, etc) I tried on to occasions already to establish gammarus in my pond in MI but I think I don't have enough vegetation or the fish are really good at picking them off.

-------------
quoting from another post:

Hey everyone...Kyle here from PLM...hope the new year is well.

I enjoyed reading the entire string...except for the beginning about not being able to get ahold of me. I am just as puzzled about...but here I am anyway.

I just wanted to provide you with a courtesy post letting you know that we will be starting our Freshwater Shrimp harvest very soon. If you are interested in shrimp or have any questions, please visit the link below for additional information. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions...please pass this information on to others that may be interested as well.

http://www.habitatnow.com/store/shop/shop.php?pn_selected_category=19

Here are some details...

$85 per gallon...20 to 40 "thousand" shrimp per gallon (it's ALLOT of shrimp)
Shipping is usually $30 to $95 per gallon depending on where you want it shipped.
FREE pick up if you want to pick your order up at our Glenwood, MN store.
Shrimp are shipped "next day" delivery if you chose to have them shipped.
Shrimp must be installed within 48 hours...24 hours for shipping and 24 hours for you to put them in your pond.
* If you open the bag when you receive them and put them into a larger container (large cooler for example) and put more freshwater or air on them, they might do well for several days or longer...just don't let them pile up and suffocate each other.
* ALL deliveries will be coordinated with you to assure that you are around to receive your order and are prepared to install it.

I may deliver personally...currently I have a route developing going out to Oregon (states to stop at along the way will be selected based on orders) and another going Missouri (states to stop at along the way will be selected based on orders). Personal delivery assures that I will be focusing on delivering shrimp and not everyone else's packages and as well making sure that nothing gets stuck in a warehouse somewhere or lost in shipping. * Other routes may be developed based on other orders. Feel free to email me with questions.

We will also be harvesting Sago and Celery in the spring after "ice-out". Sorry...we are out of wild rice until harvest in September 2008. You may place orders for rice as it is a first secured - first shipped option.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at info@HabitatNOW.com

Thanks!

Kyle, PLM
http://www.HabitatNOW.com

-----------

I'd like to try again, but my strategy I think would have to be a larger 'inoculation' or stocking. I can't get any vegetation to get established now that the crayfish are eating every veggie in sight and the mud they stir up keeps the turbidity up.

Cost is an issue unless you know of a way to ship literally millions (flat rate?). Kyle gets about $100 for a 'gallon' which is not a gallon of water but the amount of shrimp that would displace a gallon of water, minus the amount of water you have to add back just to keep them alive in the box.

I'm fascinated by your post with no snow in the mountains. Your friend who is going to swap out the pump should try his or her hand at netting large quantity of scuds smile

Mr. Cody, you stocked I think in 2007 or 2008 according to the post I found. Any sight of them?

---------
Another post from Kyle while he was gearing up for the ice harvest in Jan of 2011. It sounds like the rainbows really feast on them!

Hey guys...hope all is well.

We started harvesting shrimp about two weeks ago and, if the weather holds out, we will be harvesting thru February and maybe even into March.

I am pretty sure we will have a delivery route going thru WI, Ohio and east...then continue down south to NC, SC and GA. I don't have enough orders right now to set up a route from MN south thru IA, MO, etc.

I have had a pretty good response from customers on their shrimp...especially the trout guys that have really like the shrimp for adding weight and color to the trout. Here is just one comment and contact from a customer...let me know if you have any questions at all.

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com

----- Original Message -----
To: HabitatNOW.com
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:25 PM
Subject: RE: Freshwater Shrimp

Kyle,

Things are good here. Thanks for asking.

Unless something tragic happens in the lake, I think I will be good for the foreseeable future on my scud population. I can’t pick up any plant life out of the lake without seeing a ton of scuds on it. Thanks again and if you ever need a testimonial, just let me know!

Hope all is well in your part of the country as well.

Sincerely,
Joe