A couple observations in this interesting series of exchanges.

1. To start with as an overall comment if people aren't happy with the magazine and content, rather than just complain maybe write an article. Look inside the next issue of the magazine, usually close to the Table of Contents a few pages in. Every issue has a plea for images, photos, short stories, or new ideas for pond management. Don't want to write an article? Maybe just an email or phone call to Pond Boss with a few ideas for articles which interest you. I bet this type of input would be much appreciated.

2. Sprkplug, to be blunt I don't see the concept of favoring of affluent pond owners in the magazine, forum, or conference(s) that you mention. I went and grabbed 3 issues of the last year and there were articles on large ponds, a large pond with a liner installation, and a lake association. There were more articles on docks, relative weight data and usage, genetics, small pond management strategies, feeding options, erosion issues and options, secchi disks, and aquatic vegetation. Seems to be pretty well balanced to me.
3. Relative to the conference, your concept of that totally baffled me. Were there successful, affluent, large landowners and large pond owners there? Absolutely. Were topics, discussions, actions skewed that way? Absolutely not. Maybe I'm missing the point but I’m not into the class warfare thing, if a guy with a 35 acre pond has an idea, method, or strategy that I can use or learn from I'm going to use it.
I also have paid to have someone consult with me onsite. I didn't do it because I'm a high roller or playing a high roller. I did it to avoid making mistakes. Why do I want to avoid mistakes? Because I'm doing all the work myself. My fleet of mostly antique dozers, pans, excavators, and draglines isn't expensive. It’s just old and affordable and ties in well with my other hobbies. My old crap might not survive the work I'm hoping to do with them, they certainly won't survive having to do it twice because I screw up. I've gone over the top with my points above but oh well. Just wanted to show a point of view on a comment from a different perspective.

Overall the point in this whole discussion is we all enjoy ponds and the management aspect. We all have different goals and objectives. For me I see a value in the magazine, forum, and conferences for the ends I'm managing towards. That's what information I try gather and what I try to make of it. I figure the less effort I put in limits my potential success. Thanks.

Bryan