Hello All - I’ve been lurking here for a bit as I prepare to build a half acre pond. It is located in NW AR where the soil is horrible , and per the NRCS guy, ponds in Benton County AR over 6’ have a 50/50 chance of holding water.......hence my hesitation thus far. I have however located some spectacular clay that is accessible close by and expect to use some 80 or so truckloads to use. We’ve selected the site that has some runoff.

My first (of many) is where can I go to get some pond bottom depth/despite depth ideas?
I don’t want to rush going too deep, and suppose I’d need/want shelves, trenches and varying depths. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately it is for family fishing - I grew up in MS fishing Monster bass farm ponds and have have Read you can’t grow big bass in small shallow ponds but caught many-a lunkers out of the golf course 5’ deep ponds as a kid — so that’s in the back of my mind. wink. I have desires of a “beetle spin” pond to catch line ripping Coppernose (am I too far north for CBG?). Any thoughts or direction on where I could locate a pond bottom layout for ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images
pond.jpg
Last edited by jpws; 11/29/17 08:45 AM.

.20 acre pond-that leaks/4-5' deep. Stocked 6/22/19 with 300 BG(supposed to be HBG, removed 100+/- so far), 100 RES, 3carp. On 8/20 added 300 HBG, + 21 5"HSB. 8/21 added 5 8" SMB, one 10" LMB , one 14" CC