Bill,

Neat story. I was drafted into the Navy. I still have my Navy knife, which has its own pouch in my main tool bag. Mine was made by Buck with a stainless steel blade. Nearly every sailor in work clothes (dungarees, a chambray shirt, and a white hat) had one on their belt. Thankfully, my sheath/holder is still in great condition. My initials were stamped into the leather above the latch, and also onto one side of the knife handle.

Before worrying about the knife sheath, I'd do everything I could to resurrect that 30-30 if you could.

My old Winchester 94 30-30 took this season's deer within less than 2 minutes of the season opening this past Monday. I walked out of my basement door at the opening of our rifle season last Monday morning. These old 30-30s are incredible. They really only need to be sighted-in once.

I only shoot mine a few times a year during our multiple antlerless deer seasons. Many years ago I quit loading it with more than two 150 grain bullets. It is sighted in for 50 yards. I've never had anything but an immediate and clean kill with it. This year's big doe dropped in-place before I took my eye off the side-mounted scope. No usable meat was damaged by the shot, except for the lungs, heart, and useless rib meat on the side where the bullet exited.

As for the sheath, I have had fairly good success with Kiwi-brand mink oil. I just don't know if it is available. My can is over 40 years old. I use it on boots, holsters, belts, sheaths, etc. It doesn't take much to coat an item. The 3/4-inch high, 4-inch can, is still half full after all these years.

If the sheath has started to de-laminate, or the skin has started to crack, my wife and I have a very close friend who can make a new sheath. Our friend makes custom horse saddles and many other custom leather products, particularly knife sheaths and rifle scabbards.

I have absolutely no idea of what she charges. She has never charged my wife or me for anything she has ever repaired or made for us.

Several years ago, she and and her husband hosted Bob Lusk and a number of Pond Boss friends at their farm, and at our place, for a regional Pond Boss gathering. Several Pond Boss conferences ago I did a feature presentation about what we did at their farm to eliminate algae and weeds at their ponds.

If you think you may need a new knife sheath, let me know via a PM or e-mail. I will put you in touch with my friend.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!