For all you GSF lovers out there (all two of you) here are a few pictures of some I caught today out of my main pond.

At the time of my fish kill in my sediment pond, I transferred thousands of small fingerling fish to my main pond before they died in the sediment pond. Among the CNBG and RES fingerlings were also quite a few GSF fingerlings. They have grown really well as you can see in the pictures, and all of these went to the holding pen, to be invited to supper, because I am catching more of them than I would like to see. If my LMB were recruiting well I would not worry about it. But since I lack a population of small LMB I do not want the GSF to get carried away in this pond.

The third fish I question if it is pure GSF or not. When I caught it I called it a hybrid. But seeing it in the picture it looks awfully green sunfishy. Caught them all within a few minutes, in the same area, in 7-8' deep water off the bottom. I guess I found the GSF honey hole. A year ago I was returning the few over 8" GSF I caught to maybe grow a few trophy size GSF. But I am catching too many, so these will find their way to the cleaning station.

If I knew how to sex the GSF, I could return only the males. As I understand it there is a lot less likelihood of a BG female laying eggs in a GSF male nest. The more normal cross in nature is a BG male and a GSF female. But I do not know what to look for in a GSF like I do in a BG. Any tips?

Attached Images
20171123_154314.jpg 20171123_155253.jpg 20171123_160111.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 11/23/17 11:49 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine