Quick, but interesting update:

There is a mostly-dry creek that runs through my property. I say mostly dry because there are parts of it with pools that hold water for months without evaporating out, but the creek only runs after regional rainfall. I have a bridge in my yard to cross the creekbed and there is a pool area downstream of the bridge that holds water until it evaporates out. I noticed some tadpoles in that pool and took a net down to see what all I'd scoop out. Turns out, there were a decent number of young crawfish in the pool. I probably scooped a dozen or more in the 5 minutes or so I was there... which I tossed in my little mini-pond.

I looked for some data on county records where I live (Grimes county) and it seems the recorded species in Grimes are: Cambarus diogenes (a.k.a. Devil Crawfish), Procambarus clarkii (a.k.a. Louisiana Swamp Crawfish or Red Swamp Crawfish), and Fallicambarus houstonensis (a.k.a. Houston Burrowing Crayfish).

The latter seems to not only be IUNC listed, but also ONLY exists in 8 counties in Texas ( Liberty, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Grimes, Harris, and Walker). This is really interesting to me.

Are any of you savvy enough with crawfish identification to point me toward how I might tell which of the species I stumbled onto today? I probably won't see the ones I put in the pond anytime soon (if ever), but I may be able to grab another few from the temporary pool in the creek tomorrow for a closer look.

Just throwing it out there in case someone may know...

Cheers!
/c

ps. still no luck on sourcing a couple albino CC... still looking

96.85840735 percent clayton... the rest is just pi.

We become what we think about.