Hey guys, new guy here. Have a new pond we built this past summer and just getting to finish it now. It's about an acre. Basic shape is an oval. One end has a cement bank/landing for parties, 1 cemented runway for all the incoming water from run off and one cemented spillway and the rest is dirt.

The HUGE problem here is our soil. It's nasty and I mean nasty red clay. The old pond would be red for months at a time, plus when you went in it, you'd sink 6+" into the mud. Trying to make a family fun pond with some fish. There will be a zip line tower on the one end and will zip across about 280' of the pond. Plus will have a diving board off of the zip line tower. Max pond depth is 12'

We have dug down about 3' 6' around the edges out into the pond from 10 to 15' and we decreases this by about 6" as we go into the pond. This saddle will be for sand. then it tapers down fairly quickly to the bottom.

The question is do we go with a liner of some sort or I was thinking of rotoilling the top 4' to 6' of the soil and adding portland cement. Do this 3 or 4 times with the top layer just being portland. I'd get 400 bags or so. I was thinking I would plastic/vinyl the saddle we made regardless and just cement the angled parts.

Or

Just go with the repurposed billboard vinyl? The sides are about 60' to the middle, so would need to add a few widths down the middle, then drape the pieces under the sand down the sides to cover the bottom pieces.

Also on the used vinyls, how long do they hold up typically?

Leaking isn't even possible, so don't need it to be water tight.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Sledgehammer; 11/19/17 10:38 PM.