What I think is an interesting observation concerning using the cast net.

Went out after lunch and decided to try for some RES fingerlings. Bright sunny day. In three casts only got 3 fish so gave up. Thought hmmmm. Maybe I am getting the fingerlings thinned out. But I had not really used the net on a bright sunny mid day. It has either been late afternoon before dark or on a cloudy cold day if done mid day.

So I went out at early dark tonight. Had to leave the 4 wheeler running with lights on to see what I was getting but there was just enough light left in the sky I could see where I was throwing. Got 23 RES fingerlings in three casts and a few GS. About the same catch rate as I have been getting all along.

So just an observation for anyone thinking about trying a cast net. Just like fishing with a hook and line. Time of day, temperature and probably many other factors determine where the fish will be. Mid day on a sunny day they were not where I had been catching them. But as the day was ending they were back in the shallow water concentrated where I could catch them.

Last edited by snrub; 11/16/17 08:02 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine