Those are big nets. They are way beyond my needs or skill level. I will get a picture of my small one later today.

I am sure as the size increases, the skill level to deploy them increases significantly.

I can't remember for sure but I thought a 6' net threw a 12' circle. I knew at one time but memory is suspect. I know there are guys on here that know a lot about them so maybe they will chime in.

I personally for my needs would not want to go more than a 4' (8' circle). I think they would get a lot harder to throw above that.

Edit: I throw my small net with the same technique as the second video but since it is smaller it is much simpler. First I do not have to fold the net over in my hand as he does. I just grasp it below the ring like he does but do not fold any of the net back over in my hand. Second I only have to spread the net out like he does right before he throws. I do not have to gather up the weights five or six times. Otherwise the throw is about the same but my rope is also much shorter.

One thing he is having to cope with is waves. So he is the equivalent of throwing on his knees if he was on dry land. I suspect this is part of the multiple gathering up the weights. Getting the throw started up higher so the waves do not catch it. My net is small enough that if I hold it out from my chest the weights are off the ground. Then I just grab the skirt like he does and place one weight in my right hand like he does. Then I skip all the other gathering up of weights but reach down and grab at arms length the leading edge of the skirt. Then throw pretty much as he did, swinging the weights in an arc and letting the weights do the work. Clear as mud?

Last edited by snrub; 11/16/17 01:34 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine