Originally Posted By: TGW1
Bill when I mentioned Rockbass, they are one in the same or at least they are the same to me. I never knew they were different fish. just depends on what part of the country I'm fishing as to what they are called. In Okla when I was growing up we called them rock bass but in this area I hear them called Goggle eye. Jim, what about the spawning. How many times will they spawn in a year? Once like res or multi like bg? And since you mentioned cohabitation with lmb, any way they might assist in keeping ponds from becoming lmb heavy in a pond where they coexist? I mean in a normal lmb-bg-res pond, what ever that is?
w
Anyone have comparison photos of Warmouth over Goggle eye or Rockbass they can post up here?

Four species go under the names rockbass and goggle-eye. Where I am at there are four and in many locations you can take two of those species from a given stream. I have to get more particular using the names Warmouth, Rockbass, Shadow Bass and Ozark Bass. Warmouth is the most widespread and is also not of the same grouping as the other three plus the Roanoke Bass on the east coast are all much more closely related.

Warmouth breeding frequency not as high as NBG but they still go at it into July. They are the easiest of all sunfishes for me to tank spawn and breed out of season. Larvae are a bit small and thus tough to raise during first few days after they do onto feed / forage. The Warmouth will not be effective restricting LMB abundance, at least in the types of ponds I have played with. The Warmouth seem to regulate themselves when forced to use cover like in the presence of LMB.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri