First of all welcome.

Our pond is much bigger but we run our fill pump all winter long in over our waterfall. It is a 5500 gallon per hour pump with a 2" line. It runs all year long with no foot valve.

Our water is ground water field tile run off, and its warmer than freezing. I personally would be worried about super cooling all your water if you let it run all winter. I expect it wont freeze but keeping the water moving and circulating maybe too much.

We have had over 30"s of good solid ice on our pond but still running the water fall from our fill pump. The extra water runs out the over flow and the front of the waterfall gets a solid ice layer but the water is flowing behind it.

One tip my poker buddy has a koi pond and went to Mexico for a holiday. He came home to find the pond frozen over. In a panic he grabbed a sledge hammer and broke a hole in the ice. Next spring that hammer shock killed all his koi every one of them.

If you don't have a bunch of organics built up in the bottom of the pond yet you should not need to worry to much about keeping the ice open to let the gasses out.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 11/11/17 11:53 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.