Matzilla,
Don't feel too badly, your situation is matched in many other states. I was sad to find out that in MI it is same song, different verse. Their main biologist who handled questions about stocking only could recite that I needed BG, LMB and CC. He proposed stocking numbers that would have been disastrous for my tiny pond. Without the help of the internet and the PB forum it would have been a for sure nuke the pond and start over a few years later.

There are tons of private ponds in all states but notably so in the great lakes states. I wouldn't say it is critical that the states be in the business of stocking private ponds, but since they are heavily regulating and policing the process, people naturally turn to their web pages for advice both on how to do it correctly and how to avoid a bad plan or an illegal stocking plan.

I understand budget cuts, but having 'biologists' on staff who are not keeping current with the stuff that is commonly agreed upon and discussed here and instead are stuck in the knowledge base of the '60s and '70s is not acceptable.

What if your mechanic could only work on cars prior to 1985 or your surgeon sterilized his tools by dropping them in a coffee can half full of whiskey?

I know budgets are tight, but I'm sure they have secretaries and administrative assistants at the DNRs, at least keep an accurate list of approved fish farms and what fish they have.

But back to the topic at hand TurtleMtn, how are your 25 HSB? how did they do this summer and fall? Are they taking pellets? Have you caught one on a fly yet?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 11/09/17 05:09 PM.