I'm not very good at filleting them but after a few hundred I'm getting better. Now it does not seem like such a chore after getting a little better at it.

In my case, we have such an abundance of BG I do not worry about wasting meat at all. Wife and I both fillet them by basically cutting around the rib cage and leaving the entire fish body and guts intact. Rather than cutting through the rib cage and cutting the rib bones out after the filleting process, we just cut around the ribs while getting the fillet out and leave the ribs and guts attached to the head and back bone. I do not even try to save the belly meat. Just cut across and take out what would be the tenderloin on an animal. End up with two small strips of fish stick meat.

I probably did not explain that very well. But where our LMB are not keeping up with thinning out enough BG, we have an abundance of 6-8" BG. Have about 40 out in the holding pen right now we will fillet tomorrow afternoon (likely to add to that number today). So we do not worry about loosing some meat around the rib bones or the belly.

Just the way we do it. I know some like to eat them whole with the bones. We tried that once and my wife just has no intention of doing anything that is not boneless. Far be it for me to be the one who argues with her.

Sorry, no suggestions on knives. We have one set of three that came in a case with a sharpener that I only use the smallest of the three knives and wife has a separate one. I think they all came from Wal-Mart so likely are not the best. Keeping them sharp with the sharpener seems to be the main key, then they work pretty well. My wife is pretty keen on having good knives as she does a lot in the kitchen. Some of her knives I know better than to ask what they cost knowing that it is better I do not know. But she seems to be happy with the fillet knives we use and they are not particularly "name brand" like her kitchen knives are as far as I can tell.

Last edited by snrub; 11/04/17 10:39 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine