The county NRCS person has been out to the site but did not seem to know that much about ponds. She was very concerned about the soil and lack of good clay. There are two field engineers coming back next week to do a survey to determine what type of dam construction would be required. The field engineer who I spoke to said he thought it would work as far as the watershed, but I'm worried that only a small fraction of the overall rainfall will come in concentrated enough amounts to reach the pond.

We had one rain back in July that I believe would have filled it completely over a 2 day period based on the level of trash stacked against the trees and yucca at the main input end of the pond site, and the pile up against the fence where the dry creek runs off the property. Unfortunately I was not there to see it. I've only seen water in the low areas one other time, and that was after 1 inch of rain over a 4 hour period.

I do not have a well that would support it right now, but have considered drilling a well 1st just to see if I can get enough water out of the ground to make up for some of the evaporation. The only well on the property right now is shallow and will produce about 20 gal an hour max. It is not near the pond site.

We are already planning for a liner due to the anticipated soil conditions, and the need to keep every drop of water we can get into the pond.

Last edited by PR Cooper; 10/29/17 07:06 PM. Reason: additional detail

Randy Cooper
Cactus Blum Ranch (where the fish currently don't exist)