Originally Posted By: ewest
Bill are you just trying to get to next spring or are you wanting to establish a GS population? I would wait to add the GS as long as water temps allow this fall. The idea is to add them once the LMB slow down due to temps. This will allow the WE to eat more. Same if you try to add small BG.As Bill noted WE & YP will eat small GS and BG over winter. I would shoot for 4 inch GS and 3 inch BG. I have concerns on trying to establish GS long term with many hatchery raised GS. They are great for forage.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
A 20" walleye can eat a 6"-7" GSH although the 4"-5" is more appropriate for walleye. Walleye can eat a decent amount of small fish during winter; probably 4-6 for each WE per week. I've caught 19" winter WE with two YP 3" in their gut. BG - expect those WE 19"+ to eat mostly 3"-4" BG.

Thanks for the inputs guys! The thought is to just provide additional winter forage although I may add more in the spring if it looks like I need it while I wait for the BG and PS to spawn.

I checked with the hatchery and they can provide both GSH (3 to 5 inch) and FHM in mid November once the water cools more. The pond is down quite a bit from being full most of the summer, roughly now about .4 to .5 acre. I'm thinking I will add 10lbs of both FHM and GSH. I figure the FHM should be good for the YP (10 to 12 inch) and smaller bass.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!