Hi Griz, well being an owner of a small 1/3+ acre pond in North Alabama that sits in my front yard I will try to offer what I have learned.

1. To keep it looking nice keep it full, I am going to have my well drilled deeper cause I still lose up to 18 inches in the summer during our dry season and the muddy shore line doesn't look good.

2. Don't put alot of catfish in it if any. 3 years ago I stocked 200 4-6 inch cats we have taken about 100 out that weighed up to 7 pounds. Why do I say this well I used to have a good 18 inched of clarity and now I have 3-4 even after spreading gypsum so I feel that the catfish are stirring up the bottom.

3. Aeration is good and a fountain will not hurt at all. I spray the water up into the air about 15' using a shower head mounted on a float and anchored in the middle. It will not hurt your fishing at all. We catch fish when it is running or not.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. If you want some ideas on a dock you can look at my homepage I have lots of pictures of my pond there.

Bob