In an aquarium setting my preference is to get them on a diet formulated for cichlids. Starting size of fish is important and potentially a major challenge if even large breeder angels can eat them. Post a picture so we can we condition.

Hand-paint BG I started with back in July were at least 2" and in good weight so could go straight on a carnivore cichlid pellet. Some smaller fry less than 1" and good health got a short pulse of freeze dried blood worms before going on to small granules. Shorty's hydration approach works very well. When I hydrate pellets only enough water needed to make the moist is used and it made fresh daily. I have a plastic eye-dropper to mix the feed and transfer it to tank.

If your fish are in poor condition, then consider using some super tasty like freeze-dried krill (ground) or frozen blood worms. Really poor condition fish might even better be treated with freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

This week I will feed training some Coppernose BG, maybe we can compare notes. Mine are still on live baby brine shrimp.

If fish do even half descent then they could be pushing 6" by spring.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri