John, piecing together information from both you and Bob I'm starting to get a picture of how the two dealers I have dealt with work.

I did a large early season order from one of several Coops last spring. I got the order fine in a few weeks time. Funny thing is, the coop I picked it up at had to get it throuh a sister coop. I suspect the master coop of the group does the ordering for several stores. But I have to drive 20 miles to pick this feed up.

So the rest of last year and this year I have been using a small mom and pop feed store 5 miles from me that caters mostly to surburban farmers (whereas the coops are mostly commercial farm oriented). They are very happy to get the feed for me and seem to be eager to do it.

But I run into weird problems. I do not know if it is at my dealers end, or the warehouse end. For example I ordered 6 bags MVP one time and the route truck dropped off LMB. I took one bag of the LMB to play with, the dealer returned the LMB and got my MVP. Another time I ordered MVP and the route truck dropped off AM600. Store reordered the MVP and in the mean while I fed some of the AM600. Got some MVP in but only 3 of the 4 bags I ordered. Went on vacation and told daughter (who was feeding the fish for me) to check with the store as I had ordered more MVP. They never got it in so told her to get the AM600 they had left and order some more. They got 1 of 4 bags of MVP in (I assumed the warehouse was out). It has been 3 weeks since I last ordered and still no MVP. What Bob said may come into play. Maybe the dealer only ordered once. Or maybe the warehouse is out or who knows.

Meanwhile I have fed 5 25# bags of the Sportsman Choice feed and have one 50# bag of the Purina cheap multi species stuff I am working on now. And Tractor Supply locally is out now (one other person besides myself must have bought a bag of what they had) so it will be a 30 mile trip north to another TSC if I want more of it.

Just weird stuff. All the dog, cat, goat, rabbit, chicken, cattle, hog and whatever feed one needs. And even 32% catfish food from multiple sources still available and I may be down to that from now till the first of December when water temps typically drop to 50. But finding good fish food locally is like looking for hens teeth in my area. I could always go to Optimal and I may or mix it with CC food.

Seems like in todays age it shoukd be simpler.

Last edited by snrub; 09/12/17 06:56 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine