I have been watching HSB feeding on fish in two areas of the pond in the mornings and so I thought I would toss out some Cargills Triton 4512 in the 1/4" size and see if I would get any response. And yes I did, they feed freely on the fish food. I have rarely seen the HSB feed on the Cargills at the feeders and when I did, it would be a single fish or two. I think it was because the cnbg feed so strongly at the feeders an would leave little available food for the HSB. The feeder food would be gone in a min or two. The feeders are throwing 1/8 and 1/4" together at a ratio of two to one with the most being the 1/8 sized feed. So, I hand tossed some of the 1/4" as far as I cold throw (which is not that far) and they took to the feed. Not real aggressive but still they ate several handful's. These HSB look to be in the 12 to 17" range but I think there are some maybe in or around 19" in the pond. And, after reading here of the Purena LMB cubes for feeding the lmb, and then looking into the past threads I was wondering if others here found the HSB to eat the larger sized feed? And if so, what sized HSB were needed to feed on the LMB Pellets? My hsb are feeding on the Cargills 1/4" but to get the largest, fastest growth I think the larger pellets would help, if the hsb can eat it. And I will also add that I believe there is a lot of forage fish for the HSB right now. Pond seems to have many Tp of different sizes along with what was a good population of TFS back in March and a good number of cnbg, but I could be short on the smaller sized 2" bg. I don't see as many of them as I did earlier in the spring. I enjoyed feeding the HSB by hand and plan of continuing the hand feeding of some of the HSB, but just thinking larger feed might help to add some more weight to the HSB. Thoughts please.

Last edited by TGW1; 09/03/17 09:39 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy