This thread will document efforts to breed bluegill using resources some of the people I work with have. Goal is to produce a whopping 50 fingerlings with a total length of 1". Likely just going through motions because so late in season so will repeat effort next year.

Tank is roughly 4' x 4' x 8'. Location is on north side of barn where is collects rain water. Nest site added so I can monitor breeding activity and collect prolarvae to manage stocking density. Some prolarvae may be transferred to additional culture units in the form of 30-gallon protein tubs like used for supplementing forage / hay fed cattle.

Broodstock started as four Hand-paint Bluegill ranging in length from 2" to 3.5". Slight problem, only male died. Will be replaced today with similar sized male Northern Bluegill. Females will be removed once prolarvae confirmed present. Male may be left with brood which might of interest to some why that could allowed.

Photoperiod may need to be manipulated. Plankton will need some coaxing. Feed will be started once fish are about 0.75".

Thread will also provide me with opportunity to manage images.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri