Originally Posted By: peachgrower
This may be a stupid question. But how do you go about assessing that around the shore? If say I had a net and caught them would they go back to the bed when released?? I know birds are funny about a disturbed nest. Are fish? I know if my daughters see them they'll toss a hook over there. I never thought about if they would return to the nest until this discussion. If caught will they go back and finish their job? I have used binoculars from about 10 to 15ft away and you can make them out really well. I may need to try that again. That was the only way I could see them last year without them darting away.

Some males have wounds or other imperfections making them unique. More than once yellow grubs have served as distinguishing marks. Angling wounds are good also.

I have angled males of nest many times and released them. They may take a few minutes to return and losses of some brood will occur but usually male will return to broodiness.

You can set up an inverted 5-gallon bucket to use as a seat with good viewing of multiple nest. Once the fish get used to you then your movement will not get them to move off. I have had acclimated fish even bite me once fear is lost. Some interested stories I can relate on that. Some even involve a version of mean-mouth I made in college.

Last edited by Jim Wetzel; 08/16/17 08:55 PM.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri