Originally Posted By: jludwig
Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
Get it back on track.

Outcomes of competition between these two sunfishes is not just about reproductive output. It is also a function of direct competition and relative abilities of the two species to deal with their environment.

Post #1.

Have there been any studies/research done on this topic? It seems like it may be hard to accurately research but I would be interested in reading any research relating to this topic.

Do search using pumpkinseed, bluegill, green sunfish and interspecies. Authors looked at who displaced who.

In my most humble opinion based on what I think I see, when a bluegill and green sunfish are both less than 3" and of similar size, the green sunfish more often than not excludes the bluegill. After that it comes down to who is larger.

Something can complicate that relationship that authors did not report.

Both species are capable of adopting a behavioral pattern that is best described as territoriality. The territory encompasses a food source that is predictable yet defensible. There is a distinctive color pattern both species adopt when doing this. Both sexes do it in both species. Such is not in the literature. I described it to you now and call it brats. Go out and watch your smaller fish in shallows of ponds or streams where seeing is good. Make your judgements of what is real based on observation rather a post.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri