Not really sure why there are more pond weeds. The pond was dug in 1985, it has steep sloping sides and is pretty deep, 25 feet. For years the fish population was minimal and I relied on Mother Nature to provide for the residents. There were some weeds but just around the perimeter.

Then 3 years ago I built structure and stocked it more heavily and began feeding daily. So my assumption is it is nutrients from heavier use. And I assume this because it is all that has changed, with the possible exception of climate change! Now I am dealing with more cat-tails and submergent weeds and this year duckweed. I know that all of these weeds will sink and decompose and just add to the problem so I'm sizing up my options.

I considered just pumping the water over a sloping meadow that returns directly to the pond as Centrarchid did but the appeal of growing food from fish waste makes me want to try aquaponics. Plus I do a lot of gardening, hydroponics and wicking beds already.

The advantage of a flood and drain tank over a wet meadow is the return is through plumbing and there is no muddy field or erosion to deal with. But the concept is the same.

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]