I have been experiencing a higher growth of pond weeds which I am quite sure is because I am supporting a relatively dense fish population and I am feeding as well. So rather than have to go into the pond to do battle with the weeds, and seeing as we do eat the fish chemicals are out of the question, I am considering building an aquaponics setup to circulate the nutrient rich bottom waters into a flood and drain grow tank placed alongside the pond where I can grow some harvestable crops. I can easily start with a 4' wide by 20' foot long bed and plant something that is a heavy feeder like corn to soak up the nutes.

Has anyone tried this before with pond water? I can easily build some flood and drain tanks which are constantly fed by a small pump in the pond and automatically drain when filled so the water constantly is passed over the plants to provide them with their needed fertilizer.

This isn't much different than an algal turf scrubber that are used to clean up farm runoff when there are excess nutrients except I am substituting (selfishly) something I can eat instead of growing algae.

Is there any sanity in this plan?

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]