I was afraid to high jack another thread so starting this one. Dragon got me thinking about the spawning habits of my GSF. Here is the story, we built this pond year ago, it never held water. Fixed it twice and we started holding water in about 2014. It did okay, but never really filled...up and down up and down. Early 2016 I find pondboss. We had never stocked the pond, but my boys had thrown some bucket fish into it. Many out of a creek. I joined and lurked around a bit, looking at ways to fix the leaky pond, learning what all we did wrong and nearly threw my hands in the air. lol. Finally fiddled around enough until the pond now holds water fairly well. Last July (2016)we stocked (yes it was hot but truck was here and I didn't know better yet mad ) 25LMB, 200BG, 50RES, 10#FHM, and a carp. I also got some optimal feed that I was throwing out twice a day. Rocked on until around sept or oct thought we would see if we could catch something. Started catching all these little sunfish. I was like, MAN look at the bellies on these guys! They are tearing up the feed. So I posted pics, they were GREEN SUNFISH. So I begin studying all about them. Scares me to death thinking all my newly stocked fish would become GSF poo, so I went to my uncles pond and catch 10 LMB ranging from 8-12", to battle the GSF. I also engage in catch and remove all the GSF possible. My kids know a GSF at 100 yards now. lol.

Fast fwd to today. We now have at least 10 very fat healthy LMB that I have caught 3 of at this point and have been very impressed. We still have who knows how many GSF...we have embraced them now, we have caught I know two that were in the 10" range. I know I have YOY bass. The GSF range from fingerling to a few large ones. As I said in the other post the BG probably get caught 1 for every 15 GSF...maybe. Never caught one of the RES, but that doesn't surprise me anyways. I know there are some healthy BG because the ones we have caught were very nice and healthy. I think we have caught 4 this year.

My goal was to have a balanced fishery with some decent BG but not trophies...but I wanted quite a few 5-7lbs LMB. Not going for a trophy pond..but one that a young kid can catch a fish he or she will remember. Does that make sense?

Now to the questions from the other thread...

ewest...I do not have a seine but that might be possible...I would have to learn about that before trying it or buying the net...I'm sure they aren't cheap and I'm counting myself lucky right now to get to purchase some AM500 for my DIY feeder up from the TSC I was feeding. lol Do you mean the walking type or throwing? If I was to add 50-100 adults would they for the most part to themselves?? I have never thought about the BG and GSF keeping to themselves...I guess I always figured the sunfish would enter mingle if in the same BOW.

John, when you say adult are you meaning in the 6" range? Can those be purchased in Arkansas from the truck if you arrange it or would I need to go to a hatchery? I would really like to do that as I love BG...just want to make for sure before trying to spend money on them.

Farmallsc I feel your pain. Feel free to tell your GSF story on this thread. I would love to hear everyones stories about them. My kids love catching them. I wish I could go back and maybe hold off on putting the 10 LMB in last year...they were skinny from a gravel pit and have done VERY well. lol. I know I have removed at least 5 GSF people would be impressed with on here. No telling how large I could get them feeding and not having the larger predators.

So thats my GSF story. Hope it all made sense..it was kind of long and I'm sure my thoughts were kind of all over the place.