It always seemed like to me that strictly from a DO standpoint bring up water from the lower region of the pond that has little DO would be best doing it in daylight hours. Mixing bottom low DO water with upper water that is loosing DO after the sun goes down seemed counter productive from a strictly DO standpoint. Moving that low DO water up from the bottom while there is still sunlight lets it oxygenate (via algae respiration) while mixing already oxygenated high DO water down to the lower regions providing a larger DO storage for when night comes.

So for DO it always seemed to me that if a person had to choose between day or night aeration that mixing water in daylight hours would be better than mixing low DO water at night when the low DO water had no chance to recharge.

But that is just the way it works in my mind. How it works in real life may be different and I am certainly no expert to say.

Then the issue of super heating the entire water body comes into play in the south. So it may be a case of "it depends". Not always do the changes we make to alter the environment to benefit one element of production prove out to be beneficial to all the elements. Improving the DO situation but stressing the fish with hot water might not be a net benefit.

Edit: I just thought about the air/water surface interface where O2 is also transferred to the water. So moving lower water up at night would benefit from that way of oxygen getting into the water. I was thinking of the algae producing O2 which would not be happening at night. So in short, I probably do not know what I am talking about. Disregard everything said up to and including this point.

Last edited by snrub; 08/11/17 10:33 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine