So in the likely event that I discover the LMB population in my Grandpa's neglected 2.75 acre pond is stunted, a next step to improve the BOW would include either improving forage or reducing LMB. As far as anyone knows, BG are the only other fish present.

I don't know that another forage fish would be able to establish itself in a pond with existing LMB, but possibly something larger like GSH? Or would they just be another expensive snack? How about YP? They would have potential to get even larger and possibly also help prey on LMB fry, or is that a pipe dream?

Finally, what about tiger muskie to prey on the LMB? I know that pure-strain muskie would be almost guaranteed to not reproduce in that pond, but tiger muskie would be even more of a sure bet. Plus, they are reputed to be more aggressive and hopefully more likely to be caught as a bonus or if they outlive their welcome. Since I've heard that muskie generally occur at about one fish per acre in the wild, I would probably only try 3 fish- unless one of you pondmeisters suggested otherwise. I wonder how those 3 prospective fish would fare at reducing the LMB population, especially as they grew larger. And as a fantasy, in my dreams, "what-if" bonus, the Indiana state tiger muskie record is relatively low. wink

As a semi-summary, I don't currently and historically haven't spent any time on this pond. But it could be an interesting pond to play around with and I should have more opportunities to spend time there in the coming years. And the root of my questions stems from having grown bored with the typical BG/LMB ponds that EVERYONE has. The thought of any "bonus" fish excites me.

Last edited by jason miller; 08/02/17 09:38 PM.