Hey guys, sorry.. was working on my new deck all weekend.

Welp, not an expert, just like talking WLM. I believe it does not matter what you do, cows, goats, timber, crops.. if it is an AG, you can go to WLM. The difference you will notice is that if you are a non-producing WLM, you do not get the tax break on sales tax.

One of the things that I think people confuse is the sales tax break on things you buy for the ranch. I know a few scammers will try to sell people things and SAY they can use their tax break, but the sales tax aspect only applies if you 'produce' things, i.e. wlm does not produce anything.. heh.

Anyway, your best authority on what the WLM can do and does cover, is TPWD.... the local CAD tried to tell us they did not allow shooting coons or bird houses because the lady did not feel that was 'real', but TPWD set them straight and new smarter people took over later and they say count it all.

The real answer lies somewhere between what TPWD says and allows and what you are willing to stand up to the CAD and defend. MOST counties do not care. If you show an AG exemption, they will let you do a WLM. If they do not, you just need to talk to a TPWD on how to defend it.

One thing to note, the REAL power a county has is not in telling people what they can and cannot do, it is mandating the minimum requirements for AG exemption.

To get a WLM, you must already have an AG exemption.

Our county tried to change the minimum acres for AG from like 50 to 400. If that had gone through, a person that lost their AG and was under 400 acres would never have a chance to get it back.

So, check that county requirement out and be prepared to document and never lose your WLM if you are below that minimum.

Russ