I tend to agree with Sprkplug providing you agree to add some HBG every couple years. Also if it were my pond I would make sure I get pellet trained LMB that are bigger than 2"-3" preferably 4"-6" who will be more prone to resume eating pellets when stocked. Instead of the CC, I would add a few HSB as mentioned by Spark. The initial LMB will eat pellets and small HBG well but their offspring will feed more like regular LMB eating live foods. In later years these generations of "natural" LMB offspring will be your main controllers of the small HBG offspring. If you really like how the pellet LMB perform you can easily add some of them as the original stockers get older. Again, if it were my pond I would add several HSB (8-10) as bonus fish instead of CC. Numbers of bonus fish depend on how many bass you stock per acre basis. However, you could split the several HSB numbers in half and use 50:50 HSB & CC. As the pond progresses and you develop favorite fish you can restock them as needed to replace those harvested or that die. What you don't see at feeding time is an indication they might not be present and somehow died?

Keep in mind you always have the option after several years to add regular BG, whose offspring will normally outpace those of the HBG. Then the pond will be more BG than HBG especially if you discontinue stocking more HBG.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/17/17 01:54 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management