I think it was Dr Neal who also brought up inbreeding genetic issues, as most LMB stocked come from a rather narrow gene pool. Interesting that the proposed solution is similar to what Eric West recommended: Introducing new genetics every so often.

Other than just not fishing (at least, for bass -- I suspect BG are less subject to catchability problems, as their sheer numbers & competition for food offset this tendency), what can be done?

A few amateurish ideas to play around with...

1) Start with more fish that will bite an artificial lure. That means fish stockers breed not only for health & growth rates, but also aggression toward lures. Possibly this could be tested by using hookless lures (so no negative experience!) & selecting fish that respond aggressively. These fish can be used to revitalize genetics in older ponds, too.

2) Okay, now we have lots of LMB that will hit an artificial, but that leaves lots that won't. Shy LMB are worthless. Or are they?

Let's suppose you have a BOW which is heavily fished. All bass of any size are immediately taken out, resulting in serious imbalances. You need bass that can control other fish, but they get caught before they can do the job.

Possible solution: Put in the Uncatchables. They will survive to control other fish, because they don't get caught. Possible?

3) Actually reward fish for striking hookless lures, perhaps with a nice dead shad. Feed training for artificials? Why not?

Okay, enough with amateur hour. The pros will hopefully be here soon to set me straight!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160