Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: John F
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I had the elec coop come out and tell me they want $10,000 bucks to get elec to the pond. Now I am looking at solar and or generators for surface aerators, agitators. Money disposal systems. Your thoughts please

I worked for our electric co-op for 35 years, some of those years in the capacity of saying yes or no to proposed line extensions. Co-ops base their line extension policies on past experience and on pay back time for the membership as a whole. Extension of a line to a situation that might be temporary or low usage like a pond, camper, seasonal cabin, etc is usually done at full cost, because there is usually no payback due to low, intermittent, or temporary electrical usage.
YMMV

John, I'm also looking at installing electricity out at my place.

Here's my questions: First, would it make any difference if the electric line was buried? In such a case, could they cut down fewer trees?

Second, assuming normal poles, how would this affect plans of controlled burn of underbrush? Apparently doesn't harm pines, but clears weeds, thistles, very small trees, etc. Should I try to get burn done before Upshur Electric comes out? Normally such burns are only conducted during winter, but perhaps it can be managed in summer.

Normally, light controlled burns won't affect new poles, but you would need to make sure they don't catch fire at the base.

To bury a line, the cut needs to be only as wide as needed for the trencher. Normally, buried primary line at 7.2 to 14.4 kV requires a 48" trench to ensure the required 42 inches of cover. It needs to be reasonably straight, but can meander a little to avoid large trees.

It can be as expensive or more so than a pole line of the same distance, it varies. An electric cooperative, as a non profit, needs to collect enough revenue off a line extension to pay back the cost over the life of said line extension, usually figured as 30 years. Pond aeration likely won't generate enough revenue, and would very likely be considered a transient usage by the co-operative's policies. You would likely be asked to pay full cost or nearly full cost.