My experience mirrors Theo's that SMB alone will not effectively manage BG populations. Additional pressure from predators such as YP, WE, and HSB have resulted in BG population management in my 2 ac fishery, but also required frequent trapping, angling, and cast netting in order to get my stunted BG population under control. Important to note my pond is also virtually devoid of structure - allowing HSB to feed in open water as their pelagic nature dictates. SMB could likely manage RES populations, and suspect HBG would also be easier to manage due to lower fecundity as well and could be worth a try if they are true F1 HBG where up to 97% are male.

If you want trophy BG/SMB fishery, I suggest stocking male only BG. I have a "trophy" sunfish pond dedicated to male only RES, HBG, and BG. It's doing well, but one must be absolutely certain when performing sex ID. I cage raise my BG until 5-6" and still triple check prior to stocking the top 5% [with help from Condello].

Theo, those BRES are amazing, well done! What a great fishery it turned out to be!

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/20/17 09:46 PM. Reason: added color for emphasis

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]