Guys I'm currently having sediment load issues stemming from a fairly large feeder creek which outflows into my pond. Over the past weekend we had 3" of rain in 90 minutes which flooded the creek, yet again, and deposited a ton of sediment in to my water. A buddy of mine happens to be a civil engineer specializing in drainage and green solutions to runoff issues - he suggested slowing the creek outflow by building a series of weirs along the creeks path. I'm going to start on this project this evening and thought I should share the progress.

The water had to have reached 3-4' in order to displace the grass this high on the creek bank

Here you can see the amount of clay sediments at the outlet of the creek and the leaves/grasses caught by the deadfall. The clay extends 4-5' into the water and quickly drops down to 8' of water within the next 5'

This entire peninsula didn't exist 20 years ago (the pond was built in the 60's) and has added 10' of length into the pond over the last 10 years.

This is the creek mouth before I dropped the pond water level 18" by clearing obstructions from the outlet pipe about 6 weeks ago

Here is a map of the roughly 12 acre watershed for the creek

My pan is to build the largest weir first, starting this week, just upstream from the mouth of the creek. I'll be building a wall of cinder blocks anchored by old steel fence posts reclaimed from my lot. I'll obtain some free bricks from recent area building demos to line the outfall from the weir and over fill with gravel washed down our seal coat subdivision roads.

The 2nd phase will include hauling straw bails further up stream to be placed in very low flow areas of the creek.

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP