The bluegill spawn has wrapped up for this round and I found several more visable beds while cruising around the pond yesterday. A recent heavy rain/hail with high winds knocked down nearly all of my FA mats and did a number on the already poor water quality. I should get another decent algae bloom in the next week judging by the green tint to the water and the amount of added nutrients from die off of my remaining curly leaf.

I've yet to see any of the bluegill hatch swimming around the pond. My trap has only yeilded 6 bullheads in the last week and I've only seen a 3 surfacing to feed in the evenings when spreading Sportsmans Choice. My bug hatch peaked over weekend and tapered off extremely quickly.

Here are a few pictures of the mostly vacated BG beds

I have about 80 beds total all around the pond with roughly 18" diameter being the largest. This should mean the largest spawning males on beds I can see is approximately 6" long. A majority of beds are 10-12" in diameter from 3-4" male BG. I'm guessing my larger males (6-9") have spawned in deeper water or didn't spawn at all?

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP