I have a .5 to .75 acre pond in my back yard in Northern Michigan. We had the pond dug in 2009. It is fed by ground water, an artesian well and a flow through creek. I asked for 20 feet of depth, but I am guessing is it probably more like 15 feet deep in the deepest areas.

In 2009 and 2010 I stocked 3-5 inch trout: Rainbows, Browns and a few Brookies as well as FH minnows. I fed the trout twice a day during most periods of open water. The rainbows did very well, surviving the dog days of summer and the thick ice cover of winter. Last year the remaining rainbows were in the 10 to 12 pound range. It appears all the trout are gone now (unless there are some wary Browns that don't break surface to eat pellets).

In 2010, I bucket stocked a few small LMB, BG and a bunch of Pumpkinseed Sunfish from a small local lake.

Initially, I saw signs of panfish beds in various areas, but after a couple years, it appeared that all of the warm water fish were gone. Kids fishing this year have only been able to catch Creek Chubs.

The pond does not have any good gravel bedding areas. The water is coffee colored due to tanic acid from White Pines along the feeder creek.

Great Blue Herons regularly stalk the shallows, although I haven't seen any yet this year. I get 1 or 2 River Otters, who visit the pond for a few days twice a year. This Spring it appeared they were eating mostly Crayfish.

Pond is loaded with frogs. It appears the only fish are Creek Chubs and FH minnows. You can see the FH minnows nesting on the underside of lily pads.

I like the idea of a self sustaining and diverse fish population, but I am wondering whether I should stick with what I know works: Rainbow Trout? When the water is cool, they put on quite a show for guests at feeding time.

Maybe the warm water fish are more easy prey for the River Otters? Or they don't like the tanic acid? Or they need better breeding habitat (gravel areas)? Or, it could be I have not given them a realistic chance by proper stocking?

What would you do?