Originally Posted By: RAH
Drain laws vary, but you may be able to get the tile run around your pond so water will not end up in it at your neighbors expense. However, you will lose that watershed. If a sediment pond is more desirable for you, and cheaper than the drain extension, your neighbor may go for that. Yo should find out the drainage laws and then talk to your neighbor to see if you can both work things out before involving others. The NRCS may be able to help with the water drainage laws.

the lake been there for over i would say 40 plus years (older than me)

drainage laws state i have ability to claim right of X amount of water that comes from neighbors land due to been like that for years. but also at same time, to much water i also have a right. (moderation) of water should be had.

due to fields, lake, slope of land, i doubt running a pipe all the way through my property to a creek on opposite side would be possible. there is at min one spot that runs up higher between neighbors drain tile and creek.

=========
sediment pond only thing i can come up with. that would be "long term" filtration.

just tossing a bunch of rocks in remaining grass waterway is more meant for flash flooding, and dealing with erosion of sides and bottom.

tossing in a few lines of rocks across the grass waterway again just used to slow down water, not really to act as a filter to remove silt. (not enough dwell time) and not enough (surface area per say) to actually trap fines and silt.

tossing in say a fabric across grass waterway, will more likely result in water going under and around it, causing erosion of the grass waterway.

trying to dig a "deep big hole" for a filter chamber. would mean concrete re-enforced sides. due to grass waterway sides are already near point of grass holding and keeping erosion at bay.

=======
i think i can get 50 feet wide, by 50 feet or so long sediment pond in. more of a "rhombus shape" nearest to lake.

with 2 smaller sediment ponds nearing the drain tile. to help slow down the water and act more as pre filtering. (to much slope between drain tile and lake)

checking GPM tommorw to see how much water i am getting from drain tile. will more likely predict what is needed for sediement pond. or something else completely.