Gentlemen,
The weeds in my 1.5 acre pond are becoming a problem. I was hoping somebody could give me their best practices.
I did some searching here and think I have an answer for most of the questions you guys typically ask. I also grabbed some pictures of the problem weeds. I think they're southern naiad, but I'm deferring to your expertise.
As of today:
PH: 9.0
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Phosphate: 0.0ppm
size: 1.5 acres
avg-depth: 9-10 feet (13' for most of pond, with 30 degree banks and a 4' shelf along one shore that's overrun with cattails)
water-source(s): ground water seepage/runoff
water-uses: fishing/swimming
fish present: LMB/BG
static or transitioning water (degree & frequency): largely static, can close off the floodgate if needed
% of weed-coverage: 20% of pond, 100% in swimming area
are any other desirable plant species present?: cattails for BG cover, but they're getting excessive

I'd like to completely eradicate the suspected naiad from the swimming area, which is about 100 X 40 with a 4' average depth. Am I best off treating with Sonar AS, or is there a better Sonar for my situation? Possibly some other herbicide is a more suitable option? I was also reading about Spiritflo, which seems to have the same percentage of fluridone although I can't be sure of the other contents.

After a day of "mechanical removal" that I'm pretty sure will spread the naiad later this summer (and also left my legs screaming), I'm open to any ideas!

Thanks!
czimmerm

Attached Images
IMG_4158.JPG
Last edited by czimmerm; 06/12/17 07:07 PM.

CZ