I think the importance of genetics is directly proportional to the goal at hand. I look at growing big bluegills almost like building a drag car. To go 300 mph, a fuel car needs the appropriate engine, a dialed in clutch/drivetrain, a good set of slicks, and an aerodynamically adjustable frame to hold it all together.

To go above 300 mph, we need all the above, plus some fine tuning and wing adjustments. If I equate this to bluegills, I get:

Engine= feed
Clutch/drivetrain= water quality
Slicks= population control
Frame= reduced cover

If my goal is 300 mph or 2lb bluegills, this is a really good foundation. If my goal is 300 mph plus, or 3lb bluegills, I need something extra....I need to fine tune and adjust, or I need good genetics.

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I really believe that given what I know now, the advancements in feed, (optimal), and a clean slate to start with, I feel positive that I could grow a notable number of 2lb bluegills with fish sourced right off my local fish truck, no pedigreed genetics needed. The population in the HBG pond is getting up in years, I have actually been pondering trying this very thing with it.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.