Originally Posted By: sprkplug
If it were simply a matter of pouring the food to em', shouldn't we be seeing numbers of two pounders by now? After all these years? Since I've been on the forum, an entire generation of Bluegills have come and gone. With all the folks feeding premium feed, it just seems like there would be photos galore, if feeding was all it took?

Just goes to show how rare a giant BG really is, me thinks. ESPECIALLY, in a 1/2 to 1 acre, multi species pond, like the majority of pond owners manage.

Sparky, I think you are right on! It's way more than "just" fish food. It's habitat, it's population dynamics, it's the predator population, not just fish food. I personally believe habitat plays a giant role in producing huge fish of any species...not just bluegills. With that said, I totally believe good fish food gives the boost that those special fish need to be able to top out at huge sizes.

We'll have a speaker at Pond Boss VII who addresses that topic. Some of his successes with growing big fish make me shake my head as I wonder about the commitment to it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...