Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I've been able to raise many, many (several thousand) two-pound plus bluegills in a variety of pond and lake situations, using Purina's AquaMax 500...and some 600. I'm confident in that feed, as well. We've grown our biggest bluegills, in good numbers, by feeding small bursts three times per day, feeding enough that fish clean it up within 3 minutes.
One thing I like about the new AquaMax MVP is that it has 9 particle sizes and the smallest sizes sink, allowing smaller fish the opportunity to feed beneath the most aggressive fish.
Also, to dispel a rumor, AquaMax Sport Fish feeds do not cause fatty livers. Not sure where that rumor came from, but Dr. Mark Griffin did the research and several of the Pond Boss family participated in the program. The fish foods which can cause fat livers in bluegill or feed-trained bass are those designed for salmonids.
Whichever feed you choose, be sure it has more than 40% digestible protein.
Yes, you can grow bluegills beyond two pounds...as long as they are fed well.
Regarding whether to keep the older ones, or not, that's a personal choice. As long as you have good control of reproduction with a thoughtful predator population, you can expect recruitment to add to the population to grow some giants.
Also, plan to come to the Pond Boss VII Conference and Expo. There are experts who have done some amazing things growing big bluegills (and other fish) that don't regularly come onto this forum.

Bob, as I know from personal experience, your two cents are worth a lot more than pennies! I'm glad to hear AquaMax grows 2 pound BG. Truth is, I've never caught a BG exceeding a pound in my life.

My comment about fatty liver was not directed at AquaMax. However, I have seen images of fatty liver problems caused by other feeds, and heard testimony about such issues shortening BG life.

I wish Optimal had a mixture of sinking feed, like AM MVP. Perhaps due to my infertile water, BG recruitment is an issue and my surviving YOY have been few, unlike the LMB. This despite loads of beds, mostly in the pebble areas you planned.

Thanks for doing a great job with Pond Boss. Looking forward to attending the Forum and learning more!

Last edited by anthropic; 06/06/17 12:14 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160