Offering my two cents here...In order to have very many huge bluegill, a heavy feeding program is a must.
I'm hearing lots of good things about Optimal, and those folks have offered to send some food so I can learn about it, but haven't received or used any, yet.
I've been able to raise many, many (several thousand) two-pound plus bluegills in a variety of pond and lake situations, using Purina's AquaMax 500...and some 600. I'm confident in that feed, as well. We've grown our biggest bluegills, in good numbers, by feeding small bursts three times per day, feeding enough that fish clean it up within 3 minutes.
One thing I like about the new AquaMax MVP is that it has 9 particle sizes and the smallest sizes sink, allowing smaller fish the opportunity to feed beneath the most aggressive fish.
Also, to dispel a rumor, AquaMax Sport Fish feeds do not cause fatty livers. Not sure where that rumor came from, but Dr. Mark Griffin did the research and several of the Pond Boss family participated in the program. The fish foods which can cause fat livers in bluegill or feed-trained bass are those designed for salmonids.
Whichever feed you choose, be sure it has more than 40% digestible protein.
Yes, you can grow bluegills beyond two pounds...as long as they are fed well.
Regarding whether to keep the older ones, or not, that's a personal choice. As long as you have good control of reproduction with a thoughtful predator population, you can expect recruitment to add to the population to grow some giants.
Also, plan to come to the Pond Boss VII Conference and Expo. There are experts who have done some amazing things growing big bluegills (and other fish) that don't regularly come onto this forum.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...