Howdy Pond Bosses,

Been on here a while and have had a few successful pond projects over the years. I have a small 5 acre spot just outside of San Antonio that is begging me for a pond. Before I start digging, I wanted to get some opinions and make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure.

-The spot is approximately 100x100 in easy digging black soil that is very porous. There is clay, but I don't think I could rely on it. For this small pond, I would be looking at a liner or a lining solution/betonite.

-I have electric and well water on the property. I am coming up with around ~800gals of evaporation a month in summer, which is sustainable - I understand that this is variable depending on average heat and wind, any preferred calculators out there?

-My goals are a small, aesthetically pleasing pond where my kids can catch bluegill and catfish easily. I am interested in the fresh fish food source, and teaching them the circle of life. Planning on regular feeding and aeration as needed.

My concerns-
-Is this just too small of a body of water in the summer months of South Texas to maintain? I do not want an algae trough.
-What would be an appropriate depth to shoot for in a .25 acre pond? Any recommendations on successful designs in South Texas?

I will have access to a case backhoe for most of July and am planning on digging myself.

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
Thank you